5G!Drones organizes/co-organizes several workshops, participates in conferences and delivers presentations in various events, performs trials and test as per the defined use cases. All these related communication and dissemination activities are summarized below.
5G!Drones has organized or co-organized with other projects the following workshops.
|EVENT||WORKSHOP-SPECIAL SESSION DETAILS|
|1||IEEE WCNC2020||Aerial Communications in 5G and Beyond Networks (AERCOMM) workshop, co-organized by 5G!Drones and EU-Korea PriMO-5G project, colocated with IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, 25-28 May 2020 (Virtual Conference), Beyond Connectivity: What Comes After 5G|
|2||Online workshop||“5G Experimentation Facilities and Vertical Trials: Current Status and Future Perspectives” online workshop on 14 Oct 2020. This online workshop is organised by the Institute of Informatics & Telecommunications of NCSR Demokritos (Athens, Greece), EU projects 5GENESIS and 5G!Drones and with the support of the 5G-PPP partnership.|
|3||Seminar Session at PRINSE’22||Session 4B: Discovering extreme antennas (L10) Title: Printed Electronics Ecosystem for Future Wireless Networks, by Ilkka Känsälä / Nokia, in the Seminar “7th PrintoCent Industry Seminar” PrintoCent – Piloting and manufacturing printed intelligence. PRINSE’22 in June 8–9, 2022, Oulu, Finland|
|4||5G!Drones webinar||5G!Drones partners orginise the final online webinar of 5G!Drones project! In this webinar, a 5G!Drones project overview, its final results and the lessons learned will be presented on Friday 25th of November 13:00 – 15:00 (Central European Time). Video available here.|
Presentations, Webinars, Booths, Poster sessions and Panel Discussions
5G!Drones partners have participated in various events in order to promote 5G!Drones activities and achievements through presentations. The table below summarizes all presentations made by 5G!Drones partners in conferences, workshops, special sessions and info/business days.
|EVENT||EVENT DETAILS||PRESENTATION TITLE|
|1||EuCNC 2019||EMPOWER workshop “Empowering Transatlantic Platforms for Advance Wireless Research”, 18 June 2019, Valencia, Spain||5G!Drones vertical use cases and requirements|
|2||EuCNC 2019||5G PPP ICT-19 session “Launching of Advanced 5G validation trials across multiple vertical industries and the next steps”, 21 June 2019, Valencia, Spain||5G!Drones technical overview|
|3||Salon du Bourget, Paris Air Lab||Company presentation of INVOLI partner by Mélanie Guittet and its involvement into the 5G!Drones European project in Salon du Bourget, Paris Air Lab, 21 June 2019||INVOLI and 5G!Drones|
|4||5GEVE Meeting, Pisa||Adlen Ksentini (Eurocom) presented 5G!Drones to 5GEVE ICT-17 partners duting theri GA meeting in Pisa, Italy, Sept 2019||5G!Drones Overview|
|5||Digital Transport Days, Helsinki||Dr. Jussi Haapola (University of Oulu), 5G!DRONES project coordinator, presented 5G!DRONES project and the opportunities 5G can bring to UAV transport sector ( October 9th, 2019 ).||What can 5G bring to Drones?|
|6||ITS World Congress 2019, Singapore||Tero Vuorenmaa (Robots Expert) presented Urban Air Mobility requirements and 5G!Drones project in ITS World Congress in Singapore on 24 October 2019||5G!Drones|
|7||5GTNF Results and Demo Seminar, Helsinki, Finland||Prof. Ari Pouttu ( University of Oulu ) presented the 5G!Drones at the poster session of 5GTNF Results and Demo Seminar in Helsinki, Finland, on 1st of November 2019.||5G!Drones Poster session|
|8||FRUCT2019 conference Helsinki, Finland||Tero Vuorenmaa (Robots Expert) presented “Is UAM ready for business?” focused on challenges of the Urban Air Mobility and 5G!Drones as a use case of activity towards 5G connected drones, on 8 November 2019 in the FRUCT2019 conference Helsinki, Finland||5G!Drones as a use case of activity towards 5G connected drones|
|9||10th FOKUS FUSECO 2019 Forum – Berlin, Germany||Dr. Lechosław Tomaszewski (Orange Poland) and Tanel Järvet (CAFA Tech) presented “5G!Drones trials – how to match UAV business cases, drone capabilities and 5G test facilities“ on 8 November 2019 in the 10th FOKUS FUSECO 2019 Forum – Berlin, Germany||5G!Drones trials – how to match UAV business cases, drone capabilities and 5G test facilities|
|10||INFOCOM WORLD CONFERENCE 2019 “Economy 4.0: Connected Future”, Athens, Greece||Cosmote partner presented 5G!Drones on 26 November 2019 in the INFOCOM WORLD Conference 2019 – Athens, Greece||5G!Drones: Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Vertical Applications’ Trials Leveraging Advanced 5G Facilities|
|11||5GENESIS 6th GA Meeting, Berlin, Germany||5G!Drones project was presented by Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSR Demokritos) on 29th of November 2019 during the 6th 5GENESIS GA meeting at Fraunhofer FOKUS in Berlin, explaining how 5G!Drones will use the 5GENESIS Athens platform for the connectivity during crowded events drones use case||5G!Drones and connectivity during crowded events use case|
|12||High Level Conference on Drones (Drone week), Amsterdam||5G!Drones partners DroneRadar and Frequentis participated at panel discussion and presented, during the EASA Technical workshop on U-Space services of the High Level Conference on Drones (Drone week) in Amsterdam on 5-6/12/2019, innovative ideas which come out of the synergy between UTM and 5G network and have applicability to 5G!Drones use cases.||Panel Discussions: 5G!Drones use cases|
|13||Remote Sensing Days 2020||Nokia partner participated at Remote Sensing Days 2020 (20-22/01/20, Helsinki, Finland) with a 5G!Drones project poster session.||Poster session: 5G!Drones project|
|14||Finnish Satellite Workshop at Remote Sensing Days 2020||Nokia partner participated at the Finnish Satellite Workshop of Remote Sensing Days 2020 (20-22/01/20, Helsinki, Finland) in a panel discussion where among others aspects of 5G!Drones were discussed.||Panel discussion|
|15||AIX & FCAO Event, Tampere University, Finland||5G!Drones partner Robots.Expert had the opportunity to present the use case of detection of wildfire using 5G network and drones at the AIX&FCAO Event (06/02/2020) at Tampere University, Finland, where the 5GDrones project was also presented in the slide deck.||5G!Drones presentation|
|16||AERCOMM workshop, IEEE WCNC 2020 (virtual)||Gokul Srinivasan from Robots Expert, 5GDrones project partner, presented “Challenges and Benefits of 5G in Urban Air Mobility” at the AERCOMM workshop, co-organized by 5G!Drones and EU-Korea PriMO-5G projects, at IEEE WCNC 2020 (virtual), 25 May 2020.||Challenges and Benefits of 5G in Urban Air Mobility|
|17||PrintoCent Webinar Series 2020||5G!Drones partner Juha Hannula (Nokia), presented “5G Benefits for Unmanned Moving Objects” at PrintoCent Webinar Series 2020 (online), 8 June 2020.||5G Benefits for Unmanned Moving Objects|
|18||PX4 Developer Summit 2020||Gokul Srinivasan from robots.expert had the opportunity to present “What does it take to fly the PX4 stack on a certified aircraft?” at the PX4 Developer Summit 2020 where the 5G!Drones project was also introduced to the PX4 community and industry professionals.||What does it take to fly the PX4 stack on a certified aircraft?|
|19||ASTM International Committees, August 2020||5G!Drones partner robots.expert participates in the ASTM International F-38 (Unmanned Aircraft Systems) and F-39 (Aircraft Systems) committees, contributing to Standards and policies, while representing also the 5G!Drones project and adding value to the project’s standardization activities.||Committees participation: 5G!Drones – standards and policies|
|20||InterDrone podcast||Gokul Srinivasan, from robots.expert, participated in the InterDrone podcast on 05/08/2020, representing 5G!Drones Project, where he had the chance to discuss and analyze topics about the UAS and UAM industry, robots.expert and the 5G!Drones project. Podcast video available here||5G!Drones – UAS and UAM|
|21||6G Research Visions Webinar Series||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras from NCSRD participated and presented in the second webinar of the 6G Research Visions Webinar Series (16 Sept 2020) which addressed the essential choices for developing preferred business of 6G in the age of platforms, ecosystems, and empowerment. The video of the event is available here||MNO Openness: The Next Business Opportunity|
|22||5G Momentum webinar||robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner, participated in the 5G Momentum webinar organized by Liikenne- ja viestintävirasto Traficom / Transport- och kommunikationsverket Traficom on Thursday 3 Sept 2020. Our team member Gokul Krishna Srinivasan talked about the challenges and benefits of 5G technology in the context of Urban Air Mobility. We also had the opportunity to briefly talk about the recent feasibility tests conducted by 5G!Drones project.||Challenges and benefits of 5G technology in the context of Urban Air Mobility|
|23||ICUAS 2020 (International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems)||Alerion, 5G!Drones partner, was a keynote speaker during the ICUAS 2020 (International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems) which took plac 1-4 September 2020. The 5G!Drones project was also presented.||5G!Drones project|
|24||International Conference on Smart Cities, Smart Infrastructures and Smart Buildings, European Digital Week||robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner, participates in the International Conference on Smart Cities, Smart Infrastructures and Smart Buildings, European Digital Week 23-24 Sept 2020, and presents how 5G technology can leverage smart cities applications, including Urban Air Mobility, V2X and other relevant use cases and also share important insights from 5G!Drones project.||How 5G technology can leverage smart cities applications, including Urban Air Mobility, V2X and other relevant use cases|
|25||U-space Concept of Operations (ConOps) webinar organized by Eurocontrol||5G!Drones partner robots.expert participated in the U-space Concept of Operations (ConOps) webinar organized by Eurocontrol (2 Oct 2020). Presentations were interesting and insightful, and led to interesting explorations and discussions about how U-space architecture can be used in the 5G!Drones project.||Open discussion about how U-space architecture can be used in the 5G!Drones project|
|26||Low Latency Conference, Photonics Applications Week||5G!Drones with robots.expert partner, participated in the Low Latency Photonics Applications Week, as a part of the Low Latency Conference, and presented verticals for 5G technology and UAVs, while insights from 5G!Drones project (6 October 2020). The video of the presentation is available here||5G Technology and Drones|
|27||5G Experimentation Facilities and Vertical Trials online workshop||Jussi Haapola (Oulu University), 5G!Drones coordinator, presented 5G!Drones project at the “5G Vertical Experimentation (5G-PPP ICT-19 Projects)” session of the “5G Experimentation Facilities and Vertical Trials” online workshop, co-organized by the Institute of Informatics & Telecommunications of NCSR Demokritos, 5GENESIS, 5G!Drones and 5G-PPP on Wednesday 14 October 2020. The video of the presentation is available at the official 5G!Drones YouTube channel here.||5G!Drones|
|28||FinDrones2020 online conference||Jonas Stjernberg (robots.expert) presented at the FinDrones2020 online conference (12 November 2020). The presentation focused on “Scaling up advanced drone operations” and presented 5G!Drones project as well!||5G!Drones|
|29||Xchanging Ideas – Global 5G Evolution online event||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5GDrones partner, participates in the online event “Xchanging Ideas – Global 5G Evolution” on 8th of December 2020, presenting the trial field results of 5G-enabled UAVs that performed in the framework of 5GDRONES project on top of 5GENESIS Project experimental 5G infrastructure. The event will be broadcasted through Xchanging Ideas – Global 5G Evolution YouTube channel here.||5G-enabled UAVs|
|30||5G-PPP Technology Board e-Workshop, 10 December 2020||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5G!Drones partner, presented online the presentation “Field Trials of UAVs on top of 5GENESIS platform: Advances and Lessons Learned” at the 5G-PPP Technology Board e-Workshop, session “Working on Verticals”, 10 December 2021||Field Trials of UAVs on top of 5GENESIS platform: Advances and Lessons Learned|
|31||5G and Internet of Things Thessaloniki Week 2020||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5G!Drones partner, presented today at the “5G and Internet of Things Thessaloniki Week 2020” how 5G-enabled UAVs can support the IoT vertical industry, based on the work that is performed in 5G!Drones and 5GENESIS 5G-PPP projects.||How 5G-enabled UAVs can support the IoT vertical industry|
|32||Unmanned Cargo Aircraft conference 9th Edition 8 Dec. 2020||Gokul Srinivasan from robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner participated in Unmanned Cargo Aircraft conference presenting “Drone Deliveries: Who pays the bills”. In this session he also shared some useful insights of 5G!Drones project. You may watch the session online here||Drone Deliveries: Who pays the bills|
|33||InterDrone Online event, 15-17 December 2020||Gokul Srinivasan from robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner participated in the InterDrone online event, 16 December 2020. The panel discussed about “What do we need for successful Implementation of UTM Technologies” where insights about the 5G!Drones were also shared. More information here: https://interdrone.com/||What do we need for successful Implementation of UTM Technologies|
|34||Drones 3S Pro, 27-28 January 2021, online conference (Athens, Greece)||Fotini Setaki (Cosmote) , 5G!Drones partner, presents on 27 January 2021 the “5G!Drones European research project: Objectives, Trials and Greek involvement”. More information at (in Greek): https://dronespro.gr/drones-3s-project-2021/programma/||5G!Drones European research project: Objectives, Trials and Greek involvement|
|35||Drones 3S Pro, 27-28 January 2021, online conference (Athens, Greece)||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5G!Drones partner, presented on 27 January 2021 the “5G!Drones Trials in Athens: Results, Challenges and the Next Steps”. More information at (in Greek): https://dronespro.gr/drones-3s-project-2021/programma/||5G!Drones Trials in Athens: Results, Challenges and the Next Steps|
|36||Athens Science Festival 2021 (27-29 March 2021)||5G!Drones was present at the Athens Science Festival 2021 with a demo video of the Use Case 4 Athens trials (video produced and edited by CAFA Tech, NCSRD and INFOLYSIS partners). More info at https://www.athens-science-festival.gr/||5G!Drones trials demo videos (UC4 Athens)|
|37||Finnish UAV Ecosystem (FUAVE), 15 April 2021||Jussi Haapola (UO), 5G!Drones project coordinator, provided a presentation entitled “Towards UAV trials-Architectural advancements and takeaways from feasibility tests” at the Finnish UAV Ecosystem (FUAVE) Stakeholder event (15 April 2021). More info here.||Towards UAV trials-Architectural advancements and takeaways from feasibility tests|
|38||5G PPP TB Workshop, 21 May 2021||robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner, presented 5GDRONES Project at the 5G PPP TB Workshop (21 May 2021) and focused on the lessons learned from the 5G!Drones Athens trials over the 5GENESIS 5G Athens experimental platform in October 2020.||Vertical interaction with 5GENESIS Athens platform – Lessons learned from Athens trials 2020|
|39||EuCNC 2021 (8-11 June 2021)||5G!Drones was present at EuCNC through its virtual booth (EuCNC virtual booth No 4) More info available at https://www.eucnc.eu/exhibitions-and-demos/ 5G!Drones overview video presented at booth.||5G!Drones virtual booth at EuCNC 2021|
|40||5G-PPP TMV event, June 18 2021||5G-PPP TMV event: “Practical insights from 5G Test, Measurement and KPI Validation with vertical applications”, June 18. Presentation Title: Coverage aspects in 5G experimentation results, Presenters: Ole Grøndalen, Telenor and Ilkka Kansala, Nokia. More info here||Coverage aspects in 5G experimentation results|
|41||5G-PINE 2021/AIAI2021, 25 June 2021||5G!Drones presentation made by Orange Poland partner during the Session 16, 5G-PINE II “5G–Putting Intelligence to the Network Edge”, 25 June 2021, 17:30-17:45 – High mobility 5G services for vertical industries-network operator’s view||High mobility 5G services for vertical industries-network operator’s view|
|42||IEEE MeditCom 2021, 7-10 September 2021, Athens, Greece||The paper “An open source 5G experimentation testbed“ was presented at IEEE MeditCom 2021 (International Mediterranean Conference on Communications and Networking), 7-10 September 2021, Athens, Greece. https://meditcom2021.ieee-meditcom.org/program/demos/||An open source 5G experimentation testbed|
|43||IEEE MeditCom 2021, 7-10 September 2021, Athens, Greece||Georgios Makropoulos (NCSRD) presented the paper “Field Trial of UAV flight with Communication and Control through 5G cellular network“ at IEEE MeditCom 2021 (International Mediterranean Conference on Communications and Networking), 7-10 September 2021, Athens, Greece. https://meditcom2021.ieee-meditcom.org/program/sessions/||Field Trial of UAV flight with Communication and Control through 5G cellular network|
|44||IEEE MeditCom 2021, 7-10 September 2021, Athens, Greece||Dimitrios Fragkos presented the paper “5G Vertical Application Enablers Implementation Challenges and Perspectives“ at IEEE MeditCom 2021 (International Mediterranean Conference on Communications and Networking), 7-10 September 2021, Athens, Greece. https://meditcom2021.ieee-meditcom.org/program/special-sessions/||5G Vertical Application Enablers Implementation Challenges and Perspectives|
|45||26th Finnish National Conference on Telemedicine and eHealth, “eHealth in a Lifecycle” 7th – 8th October 2021, Oulu, Finland||The NOKIA team, 5G!Drones partner, presented during the 26th Finnish National Conference on Telemedicine and eHealth the role of telcos and latest technologies in eHealth. The presentation entitled “Telco shaking hands with eHealth” featured also 5G!Drones and it was made by Liinamaa Olli, Hannula Juha and Jyrkkä Johannes. More info here||Telco shaking hands with eHealth|
|46||Smart City Expo World Congress, 16-18 November 2021, Barcelona, Spain||Tanel Järvet (CAFA) participated in a panel discussion, Moderated by the TalTech – Tallinn University of Technology Smart City Centre of Excellence and featuring CAFA Tech, Fyma and Envelope, during the Smart City Expo World Congress where aspects and results of the 5G!Drones project and its use cases were also discussed and presented. More info here||5G!Drones panel discussion|
|47||Smart City Expo World Congress, 16-18 November 2021, Barcelona, Spain||Tanel Järvet (CAFA) participated in the Smart City Expo World Congress with a booth and presenting also 5G!Drones during the Nordic Pavilion session. More info here||5G!Drones presentation|
|48||Dubai Air Show, 14-18 November, Dubai||Gokul Srinivasan, 5G!Drones partner, participated in the Roundtable – Advantages of 5G for vertical industries (success and concrete advantages) session at 5G Techritory-Europe’s Leading 5G Ecosystem Forum, November 23, 2021, where insights from flight tests and trials in 5G!Drones project were shared. More info here||5G!Drones – roundtable discussion|
|49||5G Techritory-Europe’s Leading 5G Ecosystem Forum, 23 November 2021 (virtual)||Gokul Srinivasan, 5G!Drones partner, participated in the Roundtable – Advantages of 5G for vertical industries (success and concrete advantages) session at 5G Techritory-Europe’s Leading 5G Ecosystem Forum, November 23, 2021, where insights from architecture, flight tests and trials in 5G!Drones project were presented. More info here||5G!Drones project Architecture and Trials – Panel discussion and presentation session|
|50||IEEE Global Communications Conference (IEEE GLOBECOM 2021), 7–11 December 2021, Madrid, Spain||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5G!Drones partner, participated at Industry Panel “5G and beyond – The Perspective of European Research Projects” of IEEE GLOBECOM 2021 on 8th December 2021, discussing and presenting the “Findings and lessons learnt from the 5G trials of 5G!Drones project”. More information at: https://globecom2021.ieee-globecom.org/program/industry-panels||Findings and lessons learnt from the 5G trials of 5G!Drones project|
|51||Amsterdam Drone Week ADW, 29-31 March 2022||Gokul Srinivasan, robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner, participated at panel discussion at the main stage on the topic “Autonomous Drone Networks” on the 31st of March 2022 during the Amsterdam Drone Week. 5G!Drones project was represented sharing insights about the role of network related to autonomy, BVLOS & certification standards.||Autonomous Drone Networks|
|52||Amsterdam Drone Week ADW, 29-31 March 2022||Gokul Srinivasan, robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner, made a 30 minutes presentation on “BVLOS missions & lessons learned” during the Amsterdam Drone Week. Insights and activities from 5G!Drones project were communicated.||BVLOS missions & lessons learned|
|53||7th PrintoCent Industry Seminar – PRINSE’22 in June 8–9, 2022||Ilkka Känsälä, Nokia 5G!Drones partner, presented during the Session 4B: Discovering extreme antennas (L10) at 7th PrintoCent Industry Seminar – PRINSE’22 (8 June 2022) the “Printed Electronics Ecosystem for Future Wireless Networks” mentioning also 5G!Drones. More info here||Printed Electronics Ecosystem for Future Wireless Networks|
|54||AIAI 2022/5G-PINE, 17 June 2022||Tomaszewski Lechosław, Orange Poland and 5G!Drones partner, presented the paper “Application of Mobile Networks (5G and Beyond) in Precision Agriculture” on 17th of June at AIAI 2022/5G-PINE, session 14. More information available at https://ifipaiai.org/2022/program/ and at https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-031-08341-9_7.||Application of Mobile Networks (5G and Beyond) in Precision Agriculture|
|55||INTERPOL DRONE EXPERT SUMMIT, 20-22/06/2022 Oslo, Norway||Gokul Srinivasan, robots.expert, 5G!Drones partner, presented the 5G!Drones and its upcoming trials during the Interpol Drone Expert summit in Oslo.||The 5G!Drones trials|
|56||57th Summer School, NCSRD campus, 11-15 July 2022, Aghia Paraskevi, Greece||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5G!Drones partner, participated at the NCSRD 57th Summer School on 12th July 2022, discussing and presenting the findings and the lessons learnt from 5G!Drones project.||5G Programmability Training|
|57||12th Infocom Mobile Connected “Smartverse: Pushing the boundaries of connectivity”, 12 July 2022 (online), Greece||Dr. Harilaos Koumaras (NCSRD), 5G!Drones partner, participated at 12th Infocom Mobile Connected “Smartverse: Pushing the boundaries of connectivity”, 12th July 2022, discussing the 5G openness aspects and programmability findings of the 5G!Drones project.||5G Openness and Programmability|
|58||Hub Drone Systematics (23 September 2022) – Panel Discussion on the benefits of 5G for the drone ecosystems.||5G!Drones partner Orange France participated in a panel discussion at the Hub Drone Systematics (23 September 2022) on the benefits of 5G for the drone ecosystems. They presented the main objectives of the trial controller developed within 5G !Drones. The audience was composed of drone manufacturers, operators and software service providers, but also industrial end-users and members of the DGAC (the French CAA) and Eurocontrol.||5G!Drones Trial Controller|
Field Tests, Pre-Trials, Trials and Showcases
During the project lifetime, 5G!Drones partners will conduct several field tests and trials as part of the 5G!Drones use cases for meeting the set goals and objectives.
- CAFA Tech conducted initial field trials with DJI Mavic Pro drone and 5G smartphones, testing 5G aspects that will be used in 5G!Drones use cases. In specific, CAFA Tech conducted tests with DJI Mavic Pro drone and 5G smartphones on 24th October 2019 in Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland. Measured Results: Stream upload: 21 Mbps and Ping: 11 ms.
- CAFA Tech conducted also 5G drone test flight on 1st of November 2019, in Tallinn, Estonia, at Elisa (telecom operator) 5G NSA test network using the 5G smartphone Huawei Mate 20X. Measured results: Upstream throughput: 25-47 Mbps and Ping: 8-10 ms
- Orange France, 5G!Drones partner, conducted an experiment of a tethered drone embedding a cellular base station based on Open Air Interface, acting as a connectivity bubble, at French championships of Windsurf in Saint-Pierre-Quiberon France, from 1st to 3rd of November, as part of 5G!Drones use case #4 (UC4) initial tests.
- In May 2020, NCSRD team, 5G!Drones partner, performed the first feasibility flight of a drone piloting over 5G, i.e. transmitting the C2 (Communication and Control) channel over 5G. The feasibility flight was performed using the 5GENESIS Athens 5G experimentation platform located at NCSR Demokritos campus as initial trial of the 5G!Drones Athens use case. Video of the feasibility flight available here.
- On June 30, 2020 5G!Drones partners NCSRD (located in Athens, Greece), CAFA Tech (located in Tallinn, Estonia) and Unmanned Life (located in Brussels, Belgium) conducted virtual feasibility tests related to 5G!Drones Use Case 4 “Drone based 5G connectivity extension” scenario. Due to COVID-19 travel restrictions the tests conducted remotely. More details on the Athens feasibility tests and results here.
5G!Drones partners conducted flight trials under 5G network in Aalto and Oulu, Finland, on August 24-28 2020 for collecting preliminary inputs for 5G!Drones next developments and actions. In these tests, 5G infrastructure owners of Aalto University and Oulun yliopisto – University of Oulu, and technology companies CAFA Tech, HEPTA, NOKIA and robots.expert participated, conducting physically tests of 5G!Drones use cases UC1Sc1/UC3Sc1/UC3Sc2. More details on the Finland feasibility tests and results here.
- Nokia, 5G!Drones partner, executed 5G!Drones pre-trial measurements during 27-28 August 2020, which focused on the Nokia lead Use Case 3 Scenario 3: Location of UE in non-GPS environments. These feasibility tests were successfully conducted in Nokia premises in Oulu, Finland.
- 5G!Drones partners NCSR Demokritos, Cosmote, HEPTA, CAFA Tech, robots.expert, Municipality of Egaleo and INFOLYSiS, conducted flight trials under 5G network in Municipality of Egaleo stadium (part of 5GENESIS 5G Athens platform, Greece), on October 19-20 2020, for collecting inputs and verifying the interaction between 5G and drones under 5G!Drones use case #4 (Connectivity during crowded events). Two videos available at 5G!Drones YouTube channel here. An overview report on Egaleo Stadium trials is available here.
- 5G!Drones partners NCSR Demokritos, Cosmote, CAFA Tech, robots.expert and INFOLYSiS, conducted flight trials under 5G network in OTE-Cosmote Academy premises (part of 5GENESIS 5G Athens platform, Greece), on October 21 2020, for testing the offering of a better level of network services with drones under 5G and avoiding dropped calls and degraded Internet connectivity during mass events (5G!Drones use case #4 – Connectivity during crowded events). Video available at 5G!Drones YouTube channel here. An overview report on OTE-Cosmote Academy trials is available here.
- 5GDrones partners EUR, CAF, AIR, DRR, FRQ, REX conducted remote Feasibility tests using Eurecom (France) and CAFA Tech (Estonia) facility on 17th and 18th December, 2020 to test how 5G!Drones containers (C2+U-Space-, MCS- and latency measurement container) work in EUR servers and the connections with these containers´ client applications in smartphones. Video available at 5G!Drones YouTube channel here.
- Athens remote-emulated tests on 5GENESIS Athens 5G experimental platform at NCSRD campus on 23 April 2021. Focus paid on measurements, connectivity, KPIs and Athens UC4 details. Involved partners: DEM, COS, UMS, INF.
- Aalto University, 5G!Drones partner, has performed a small demo-showcasing event on 27th May 2021. The showcasing was for the benefit of first graders students from the international school of Espoo, Finland. AU presented its current work related to cellular drones and virtual reality (VR) as part of 5G!Drones activities and also presented a demo of streaming a 360 video from flying drones. The demos have been developed as part of MOSA!C Lab’s contributions to the EU H2020 5G!Drones project. Μore info available here.
- Eurecom remote tests and pretrials on 17 June 2021, for testing 5G!Drones Integration Release1 components and UC1Sc1 and UC2Sc1, UC2SC2 scenarios and collecting feedback for physical tests in Sep-Oct 2021. Involved partners: EUR, CAFA, INV, DRR, UMS, AIR.
- Joint trials of 5GENESIS and 5G!Drones projects! 5G!Drones UC4 (Connectivity during crowded events) is tested on the 5GENESIS Athens 5G experimental platform at COSMOTE Academy premises in Athens (28 June – 2 July 2021). Involved partners: DEM, COS. Video available at 5G!Drones YouTube channel here.
- Pretrials were executed at Aalto University on 19-20 August 2021 as part of 5GDrones project. Involved 5G!Drones partners (AU, CAF, DRR, INV, FRQ, RXB) validated use cases with 5G flights including scenarios where the remote pilot (not the PIC) takes over the control and pilots the aircraft with a tethered joystick. The team also validated C2 link over 5G, and UTM over 5G.
- Trials at Oulu, Finland (24-26 August 2021). Integration Rel.1 tests, setting up and testing 5G network coverage and Edge server solutions, video streaming over 5G for near real-time search, UTM over 5G and C2 link over 5G in Botanical Garden area. Involved partners: UO, NOK, CAF, Hepta, Alerion, RXB. Remotely: DRR, INV, FRQ.
- Trials at Eurecom premises, Campus SophiaTech, Sophia Antipolis, France (16-18 December 2021). Participating partners EUR, AIR, INV, CAF, UML, RXB, FRQ. For the first time in the world 5G!Drones partners used 5G SA to control a drone! The trials took place in the context of Use Case 2 “Public safety/saving lives”. In specific, capabilities such as search and rescue operations, mission critical systems (AIR) and sending C2 link over 5G SA were demonstrated. Also the integration of UTM systems into the standalone 5G network was validated and the LEMAN tracker and ground based receiver from INV during the trials were validated. Debriefing video right after the trials (18 December 2021), highlighting the results, lessons learnt and challenges faced, is available here as Interviews
- Preparatory field setups and tests at Municipality of Egaleo stadium (Greece) on Friday 27 May 2022, by NCSRD team, towards the final showcasing 5G trial with UAVs (UC4) in early September 2022
- Orange (France), 5G!Drones partner, demonstrated the Morinant enabler tool developed in the context of 5G!Drones during the Demo Day, organized by the Hub Drone Systematics (23 June 2022). 5G!Drones was also presented at the beginning of the event with details on its use cases and technologies been presented. More information here
- On Thursday 18 August 2022, 5G!Drones project partners conducted final trials at Aalto University in the following scenarios: UC1Sc1 UTM, UC1Sc3 Logistics, UC3Sc2 IoT sensing. Involved partners: Aalto University, CAFA Tech, Involi, Frequentis, DroneRadar, RobotsExpert. Aalto University final trials Video
- 5G!Drones project performed the final trials of Oulu platform and showcased its findings at the University of Oulu campus (22-26 August 2022). Use cases tested: UC1Sc1,UC1Sc2, UC2Sc2, UC3SC1 UC3Sc3. Involved partners: University of Oulu, CAFA Tech, Alerion, Hepta, Nokia, Involi and FLE. More information available in the News section and 5G!Drones social media. Oulu final trials Video
- 5G!Drones project performed the final trials of Athens platform and showcased its findings at the Egaleo stadium (5-9 September 2022). The use case #4 was tested: Connectivity during crowded events. Involved partners: NCSRD, Cosmote, INFOLYSIS, MoE, CAFA Tech, Hepta, UML, Frequentis and RobotsExpert. More information available in the News section and 5G!Drones social media. Final trials Video1 and Showcasing Video2 Final Athens debriefing-Inteviews Interviews
- 5G!Drones project final trials in France were executed at EURECOM premises, on 16th and 17th September 2022! 5G fully automated drone flight controlled by a C2 container located on Eurecom’s MEC server and UC2Sc1 were tested. Participating partners EUR, CAF, INV, AIR, FRQ and UO. More information coming soon in the News section and 5G!Drones social media. Two videos available Video1 Video2